Play! Play! Play! A sight word book for a snow day!

Are you in the middle of a snow day?  Here is a video of Mrs. Karle reading her sight word book, Play! Play! Play!  Beginning readers love  to read books that are easy for them.  When beginning readers struggle with learning to read, they lose confidence in their ability to read.   When they lose confidence in reading, they don’t like to read – and, if they don’t like to read -they don’t like learning to read.  If you have a beginning reader, it is so important that you help give your beginning reader confidence with reading.  Sight Words are words that need to be memorized.  Eighty percent of what a beginning reader reads are sight words.  Beginning readers should know these words fluently because if they have them memorized, they can read 80% of the time without being frustrated!  This gives a beginning reader confidence to read and sound out the other 20% of words.  Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound Reading program teaches the children sight words in context.  This means she introduces words slowly, in an order that shows the children that reading has meaning.  The sight words are not just flash cards they need to memorize, but they are words in a story that make sense.  When children see that their reading has meaning, and that they can read and understand new things, they want to learn more, and they want to keep reading!  Mrs. Karle’s sight word book can be read after Day 25 of her Learn to Read for free sight word program.

Sight Words used in the book: dog, cat, bear, little, can, one, two, three, run, play

If your child has not learned all these sight words, we recommend having your child learn these words through Mrs. Karle’s free videos (found on this site) – to help them learn to read them confidently and fluently.

Reading Resources Bundle
Teach and reinforce letters and sight words with this AMAZING bundle!
25 Days to Reading Success: Read at a first-grade level in 25 days
Read at a first-grade level in just 25 days!
Handwriting Patch Curriculum
Teach a child handwriting AND drawing using our handwriting curriculum.

Madreen Karle is a master first grade reading teacher with over 30 years of classroom experience. She taught reading in a special needs and English as a Second Language classroom. After retiring she wrote a reading program to help others learn how to teach reading. She is a trusted educator and author of 5 books to help teach children to read and write. In addition to her books, she is a mentor for 3 websites that give reading teacher tips (Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound ReadingMrs. Karle’s Reading Patch, and Mrs. Karle’s Handwriting Patch). Through her teaching she learned that confidence was the key to learning to read. A child who is not confident at reading does not like to read and struggles to read. Mrs. Karle created “sunshine moments” to help teach children how to grow their confidence and learn to read.
Meeghan Karle Mousaw (Madreen’s daughter) has her Master’s in Special Education. She has 8 years experience teaching children to read online. In addition, she developed a curriculum to teach children handwriting called The Handwriting Patch. With the Handwriting Patch learning is fun because children learn to draw and learn handwriting at the same time. In 2019 The Handwriting Patch curriculum became an amazon best seller the first year it was released, helping thousands of kids learn handwriting with a unique, fun method. She is mom to 6 kids, each with differently learning abilities and struggles.
The Reading Patch was established by the creators of Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound Reading. Together they have been featured on the NBC media outlets and Parents Magazine online. Over the last 8 years in their online platform, Madreen and Meeghan have worked tirelessly with teachers, homeschoolers and parents looking to help children learn to read to become a trusted authority in teaching children to read and advocating early literacy skills. They often partner with other educational experts to deliver the most current information to the Reading Patch community.


  1. I’m always looking for fun books my (yoga) kiddos can read while waiting for their parents to come- this is so cute!

  2. Mattie Redell Reese-DuPree says:

    I wanted to down load the Play, Play, Play Book for my granddaughter to read but could not find it on the web site. Where can I get the book. She wants to read it. We are now on day 26 of the reading program and she is doing great with your program. Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *