I am pretty sure you are aware that this year is an election year! So… we might as well enjoy it and have a fun time teaching about the process of voting and elections. Today I have a Duck for President Lesson Plan and activities for you as well as some other ideas to help you teach about voting and the election process! Duck for President is a cute story about a Duck who becomes tired with his daily chores on the arm and decides he wants to “overthrow” the farmer. He organizes and holds and election and wins! He soon tires of his duties and runs for governor and president as well.. Duck for President is a cute book to help teach about the election process and to help students learn new vocabulary words. Duck for President makes a great classroom lesson plan for preschool, kindergarten and first grade. Immediately when I read it, ideas rushed to my head to share with all of you! So, without too much ado, here are some thoughts that came to mind… (Here are a few other cute books to help teach about the election process too!)
Duck for President Lesson Planand Activities
I thought of a few ideas for you to help you teach about the election and the election process. Here are a few things you can do to help teach about the election to preschool/kindergarten and first grade age students.
- Read Duck for President – First, Read the book Duck for President! It is a great book to help teach the vocabulary used in an election. It also is cute and you can build on it by having your own election in your classroom.
- Have a Mock Election in your classroom
- Decide on two candidates that will run for president. You could decide on class pet -(like a fish, or a frog or a turtle?). You could compare two popular book candidates like Pete the Cat vs. Splat the Cat, or Brown Bear vs. the Duck in Duck for President. You could have the teacher run for candidate against a book character… these are just a few ideas!
- Have the students make Campaign Posters – You can hang these posters around the school on bulletin boards or the room. They can even make a campaign poster for themself, if they wish!
- Compare and contrast the candidates. Note how they are similar and how they are different.
- Make Vote buttons or I Voted Buttons so that students can help show awareness and help others vote…or, to help them take place in the fun that they voted in their class election.
- Have the students register to vote – Make voter registration cards or Give them Voter Registration Cards.
- Have a Mock Ballot and create an area in the room (complete with a curtain or closed area if you can to make sure that the vote is private. Make sure you discuss with the students that votes are private. You don’t normally vote for someone because someone else is voting for them…you vote because you want to vote for them.
- You can make a ballot box out of a tissue box or a shoe box.
- Count the votes and Graph the outcome.
- Read other great books that help children learn about the election. Book suggestions include…
My Teacher for President is super cute . It is a great one to use if the students will vote on Teacher for President (maybe vs. a story book character). It give cute charachteristics of what a president should be good at and why a teacher would make a good president. Grace for President is about a girl who decides to run for president because she knows there has not been a female president. One Vote, Two Votes is a good book for older children -it really goes very in depth into the voting process. And… I love Splat the Cat, so -he always gets my vote!
Free Duck for President Election Activity
I have made some Duck For President Lesson Plan Activities for you! You can get a free sample download here that will allow you to do some of the activities listed above. In addition, if you want further cute activities to help enhance learning, there are several other fun activities included in the paid packet. Activities in the paid packet include…
Read and color the Farm object.
Color by letter Duck for President
Color by sight word Duck for President
Color the election word
Color the Sight Word –Election Edition
Vote for President drawing activity
Cut/Paste Duck for President words
Cut/Paste d Words
Color d/p words
4 writing prompts,
1 Build a sentence
Sample Ballots to use for class vote
Roll/Trace the lower case letter
Match the upper/lower case letter
Duck for President Sequencing Activity
Duck for President mini-book
Voter Registration Cards
Compare the Candidates Page
Vote/I Voted Button Templates
To get your free Duck for President Lesson Plan Activity pack, enter in your email into the form below and you will be added to our mailing list where you will find out about more fun things. You can remove yourself by following the directions with your freebie or unsubscribing to the first newsletter. If you have any trouble with your download, just email me at Mrs.Mousaw@sightandsoundreading.com .
If you like this post, you might like: