Summer days are filled with sunshine. This means it is a perfect time to get ice cream. Yummy… At the same time, it is great for kids to do Ice Cream Word Family Craft to help them maintain their reading skills. I find this ice cream word family craft is very useful to learn all sorts of word family lessons.
Besides using this craft for word family lessons, you can use the ice cream to learn the letter i. Write letter I vocabulary words on the ice cream as an alternate the word family ice cream craft.
Here are some books you can use to teach the letter i for children:
I Wanna IguanaImogene’s Antlers (Reading Rainbow Books)Inside Outside Upside Down (Bright & Early Books(R)) by Berenstain, Stan, Berenstain, Jan (1st (first) Edition) [Hardcover(1968)]Inch by InchImmi’s GiftShould I Share My Ice Cream? (An Elephant and Piggie Book)Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream (I Can Read Level 1)Dragons Love Ice Cream
Ice Cream Word Family Craft Materials
- Brown construction paper
- White, brown, and pink construction paper (or other colors!)
- Pen or crayons
Instructions for Ice Cream Word Family Craft
- To create your cones, draw a 3” line on a piece of brown construction paper. I then let our little one draw the other 3” line, making a V shape.
- Draw a line over the V creating a triangle. Cut these out.
- To create the ice cream, take a circular object (we used a mason jar lid) and make a semi-circle on the colored construction paper.
- Make 3 waves under the semi-circle. Cut these out.
- On the cones, write down word family endings. Examples include:
- On the ice cream, write down beginning sounds or blends. We just used letters, but you can easily extend this activity to use blends.
- Mix and match your ice cream layers to put together word families!
Games for Ice Cream Word Family Craft
Real and Made-Up Words
Stack your ice cream cone with all the beginning blends. What words are made up, and what words are real?
- Put the ice cream and cones face-down, like in memory. When you flip an ice cream and a cone over, if it makes a real word, it makes a match and the person gets 1 point. If it does not make a real word, you have to put them back down.
- Keep a list of who-has-what word. OR after you make a real word, you can take the ice cream and the cone.
If you like the post, you will like