25 President's Day Kindergarten Activities
President's Day is around the corner! I wanted to put together a big list of President's Day activities that can be used in a preschool/Kindergarten/First grade classroom or homeschool.
Before we begin, here are a few of my favorite books that I read for President's Day.
Here are my favorite President's Day Activities for Kindergarten/Preschool/First Grade.
- Make Paper bag President Puppets
- Do a President's Day Lesson Plan by reading a book, singing a song and doing a free president's day activity.
- Read Duck for President and hold an election!
- Put together a president Venn-Diagram, and then follow up with a persuasive writing project about the presidents.
- Presidents Day Activities - The First Grade Sweet Life
- Watch these videos and sing along with songs about the presidents! Free President Songs and Rhymes for Circle Time - Living Montessori Now
- Print out this free no-prep flip book to use with your Presidents Day unit study or just for a fun activity to learn about fun facts about the presidents. Flipping Over the Presidents - Creating Readers and Writers
- Read Buzzy and Thomas move into the President's House -and learn about Thomas Jefferson's dog and all the emotions Buzzy has when he finds out he is to move into the President' house.
- Test your presidential knowledge with this free trivia quiz. Then if you really want to test your knowledge, play the "All the Presidents' Dogs" game Presidential Trivia - Diva Girl Parties and Stuff
- Transform into your favorite president with these fun and easy DIY masks using paper plates! Presidents Day Masks - Lakeshore
- These president themed photo props would be a fun way to celebrate President's Day! Happy President's Day Craft - Sandy Toes and Popsicle Blog
- A list of fun projects and crafts to learn more about Abraham Lincoln. "I Am Abraham Lincoln" Unit Study - Day 2 Presidential Puppet, Log Cabin, & More - Surviving a Teacher's Salary
- Make a mini George Washington and Abe Lincoln using toilet paper rolls with this fun craft. President Lincoln & Washington Toilet Paper Tube Craft for Kids - Surviving a Teachers Salary
- Download these free pattern sets and create a fun craft inspired by George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, then finish up with a fun writing prompt with your kids about they would do if they had Abe Lincoln's hat. Craftivities for President's Day - A Cupcake for the Teacher
- Combine crafting and snack time with this mini edible version of Abraham Lincoln's using pretzels and graham crackers! Presidents' Day Log Cabin
- All you need are a few popsicle sticks and some construction paper to build another kid friendly version of Abraham Lincolns log cabin. Learning Labratory: President's Day! - Mama Smiles
- Create a mini top hat just like the one Abraham Lincoln used to wear. Abraham Lincoln's Hat - Education.com
- This is the perfect way to combine Presidents' Day, science, and money skills all into a hands on activity. Presidents' Day Science: Coin Cleaning Experiment
Our favorite Learning Activities
Madreen Karle is a master first grade reading teacher with over 30 years of classroom experience. She taught reading in a special needs and English as a Second Language classroom. After retiring she wrote a reading program to help others learn how to teach reading. She is a trusted educator and author of 5 books to help teach children to read and write. In addition to her books, she is a mentor for 3 websites that give reading teacher tips (Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound Reading, Mrs. Karle’s Reading Patch, and Mrs. Karle’s Handwriting Patch). Through her teaching she learned that confidence was the key to learning to read. A child who is not confident at reading does not like to read and struggles to read. Mrs. Karle created “sunshine moments” to help teach children how to grow their confidence and learn to read.
Meeghan Karle Mousaw (Madreen’s daughter) has her Master’s in Special Education. She has 8 years experience teaching children to read online. In addition, she developed a curriculum to teach children handwriting called The Handwriting Patch. With the Handwriting Patch learning is fun because children learn to draw and learn handwriting at the same time. In 2019 The Handwriting Patch curriculum became an amazon best seller the first year it was released, helping thousands of kids learn handwriting with a unique, fun method. She is mom to 6 kids, each with differently learning abilities and struggles.
The Reading Patch was established by the creators of Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound Reading. Together they have been featured on the NBC media outlets and Parents Magazine online. Over the last 8 years in their online platform, Madreen and Meeghan have worked tirelessly with teachers, homeschoolers and parents looking to help children learn to read to become a trusted authority in teaching children to read and advocating early literacy skills. They often partner with other educational experts to deliver the most current information to the Reading Patch community.