The letter H is one of my favorite letters, and the hippo is one of my favorite animals! Although real hippos are fearsome and dangerous, these hippo egg carton craft are neither dangerous nor fearsome. Instead, they are adorable and sweet. Kids will love learning about the letter H when making these super cute hippos. This craft would make the perfect addition to H week when studying the letter of the week.
When teaching the letter H, I love to read Red Hen books, or this cute Harold’s book… and then make a cute craft for them!
The Red HenThe Little Red Hen (Paul Galdone Classics)A House for Hermit Crab (The World of Eric Carle)Blue Hat, Green Hat (Boynton on Board)Harold and the Purple Crayon (Purple Crayon Books)The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza)The Hat
Letter H Craft: Hippo Egg Carton Craft
What you’ll need to make the H is for hippo egg carton craft for each child:
- 2 egg cups
- Purple paint
- Pink paint
- Purple paper
- 2 white pom poms
- 2 googly eyes
Letter H Craft: Hippo Egg Carton Craft Directions
The day before the kids do this project:
Cut around each egg cup so that they made perfect circles without any weird bumps or lumps. My egg cartons had a little line that I was able to cut across to make the perfectly round cups.
Cut out two ear shapes from the purple paper for each child.
Let the kids do this part:
Paint the outside of each cup purple and the inside pink. The two cups will become the hippo’s mouth. Let the paint dry.
- Paint the outside of each cup purple and the inside pink. The two cups will become the hippo’s mouth. Let the paint dry.
- When the paint is dry, glue the googly eyes to the front, the ears to the top, and the two pom poms inside the mouth to represent teeth.
- Glue the two egg cups together along the back.
- Open and close the hippo’s mouth to reveal it’s giant teeth!
- Talk about the letter H when making this craft. What things that start with H can the kids think of? Is there anything in the room that starts with H? Are there any kids with names that start with H?
When the hippos are dry and complete, kids can take them home and show them off to mom and dad.
If you like this book list, you can visit: